Clear Your Past Criminal Records

We understand how a past history can hold you back.  We understand the frustration that exists from having to explain an old criminal conviction on every job or rental application.

Robertson Law, PLLC is a Seattle law firm with the skill and experience you need to clear these records and move forward in your life. We do not shy away from difficult cases. We have a track record of helping people with cases other lawyers may not take.

We have the local experience and reputation to assist you in clearing your criminal records.

We have experience representing clients throughout Washington State. We know the prosecutors, judges, and local rules. This knowledge and experience is crucial when deciding which lawyer can best work for you.

Don't be fooled by a national "expungement" firm which promises local (unnamed) attorneys will be dispatched to assist you in your case.  Hire a firm which is local and has local experience and credibility.


The National Employment Law Project research shows that prejudice in hiring practices will continue to hamper the employment prospects of applicants with criminal histories.  Read more below.

"65 Million Need Not Apply"

Don't let your past criminal record hold you back. Send us an e-mail or call our office and we can provide you with important information to help you begin the process of clearing your criminal records.

Robertson Law also handles criminal defense trial matters. More information about the firm and its attorneys can be found at our main site.

Expunging criminal records

The process of clearing a criminal record in Washington is often generically called “expungement.” However, this is only partially accurate.  Expunging criminal records in Washington State does not correctly describe the process.

The correct term for removing a criminal conviction from your criminal history is called “vacation” of a record. When a conviction is “vacated,” here is what happens:

The court dismisses the information, indictment, complaint, or citation, and vacates the judgment and sentence against you.

The guilty finding is reversed, and the criminal charge is dismissed.

You are released from all penalties and disabilities resulting from the offense.

Your conviction is removed from your criminal history for purposes of determining a sentence in any subsequent conviction.

You may state, for “all purposes” that you have never been convicted of the crime.

The vacate order is sent to the WSP and FBI.  Record of the conviction may not be disclosed to any person except other criminal justice enforcement agencies.

While certain rules apply to determine whether a person qualifies to have a criminal conviction vacated, it is important to remember that any decision to vacate a conviction is discretionary; meaning the judge has the option to deny the request.

It is important to hire a Washington lawyer who will be thorough and prepared when seeking to ask a judge to vacate any conviction. Washington State has several laws dealing with the ability to vacate an adult criminal conviction.  Each applies to a specific type of case.  Each has its own unique set of factors you must meet to become eligible to vacate a conviction.  In most instances, despite statutory eligibility, the judge has the discretion to grant or deny a request to vacate a conviction.

Click here for more information about vacating Adult Criminal Convictions.

Sealing Juvenile Records

If you are interested in sealing a juvenile record, we can assist you.  In Washington State, juvenile court records are publicly accessible!  This means the contents of any juvenile court file may be accessed through the courts, and record of a conviction may be revealed on a criminal history report maintained by the Washington State Patrol (WATCH).

Washington law allows persons to vacate and/or seal the records associated with most juvenile criminal convictions. For offenses classified as class B or C felony offenses, and all misdemeanor offenses, a juvenile conviction may be vacated as early as two years after the person has completed all conditions related to the case.

For class A felony offenses, a person must wait at least five years. Certain sex crimes may not be vacated.  If the person was required to register as a sex offender due to the conviction, he or she must obtain a court order removing the registration requirement.

Unlike other laws, the juvenile statute also provides the remedy of automatically sealing the records associated with the case.

Click Here for more information about clearing juvenile records.

Restoring Firearm Rights

Are you a hunter?  Do you want your gun rights in order to have a firearm available to protect yourself?  We are here to discuss restoring your firearm rights.

The right to possess firearms derives from the Second Amendment to the United States Constitution, and Article I, §24 of the Washington State Constitution. The right to bear arms, however, is not absolute.

In Washington State, your Constitutional right to possess firearms is lost whenever you are convicted of a felony offense or certain gross misdemeanor charges.  Firearm rights can also be lost when a person has been involuntarily committed.

To restore firearm rights, you must obtain a court order. In order to fully restore firearm rights you may have to vacate the conviction which led to the loss of firearm rights in the first place.

Click Here for more information about restoring your gun rights.

Click HERE for recent successful cases handled by this firm.


Robertson Law


The attorneys of Robertson Law have a proven track record of creative and effective advocacy for clients throughout the state of Washington.

Contact Us Today!

Ryan Robertson's practice focuses exclusively on high-quality creative appellate representation in criminal and administrative matters, as well as expungements, vacation of records, and petitions to seal.